LYRICS

Frank Sinatra – Theme From Lyrics New York New York

Lyrics New York New York

“Theme From New York, New York”

Start spreading the news
I’m leaving today
I want to be a part of it
New York, New York

These vagabond shoes
Are longing to stray
Right through the very heart of it
New York, New York

I wanna wake up in a city
That doesn’t sleep
And find I’m king of the hill
Top of the heap

These little town blues
Are melting away
I’ll make a brand new start of it
In old New York

If I can make it there
I’ll make it anywhere
It’s up to you
New York, New York

New York, New York

I want to wake up in a city
That never sleeps
And find I’m a number one
Top of the list
King of the hill
A number one

These little town blues
Are melting away
I’m gonna make a brand new start of it
In old New York

And if I can make it there
I’m gonna make it anywhere
It’s up to you
New York, New York, New York

Writer(s): Fred Ebb, John Kander


This song is the theme song from the Martin Scorsese film “New York, New York” (1977). It was written for and performed in the film by Liza Minnelli.

The song became a popular hit after Frank Sinatra performed it at Radio City Music Hall in October 1978.

Frank Sinatra recorded his version of the song with slightly different lyrics for his album “Trilogy: Past Present Future” (1980). It became one of his signature songs. He performed it live with Liza Minnelli as a duet.

Two more studio recordings of the song was made by Frank Sinatra: in 1981 for his NBC TV special “The Man and His Music” and in 1993 for Capitol Records.

“Theme From New York, New York” was re-recorded by Frank Sinatra for his 1993 album “Duets” with Tony Bennett. That version uses Liza Minnelli’s original closing lines.

She wasn’t very responsible with her money and spent lavishly on jewelry, clothes, and homes, as well as giving money to relatives, employees, and strangers. After her estate was settled, her fortune had declined to about $370,000. In her will, she gave $10,000 each to her longtime assistant and her half-sister. She put $5,000 in a trust fund for the education of her assistant’s child. She left a $100,000 trust fund for her mother.

Her physical property was left to her acting coach Lee Strasberg, whom she had been very close to during her life. In fact, Lee and his first wife Paula were basically surrogate parents to Marilyn. Strasberg was also left 75% of her intellectual property rights. The remaining 25% was given to her therapist, Dr. Marianne Kris. In 1980, Kris passed away, and her share in Monroe’s estate had earned steadily for her over the year. Kris left her money to the Anna Freud Centre for the Psychoanalytic Study and Treatment of Children in London.

There’s no debating the fact that Marilyn Monroe was an icon and she remains one nearly six decades after her untimely death. Monroe and her likeness are still big business, generating millions of dollars a year. Monroe’s photos and likeness are used to sell everything from t-shirts to posters to key chains to coffee mugs and beyond. When Marilyn died in 1962, she left no heirs and had a net worth of $800,000, which is equivalent to about $7 million today. 

lyrics New York New York Start spreading the news. I’m leaving today. I want to be a part of it. New York, New York These vagabond shoes

Hozier – Take Me To Church Lyrics

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button